Every Saturday (except the first Saturday) of the month the volunteers from the St. Charles Humane Society will bring at least three dogs to Petsmart. The volunteers will conduct pet adoptions from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Potential adopters will be required to complete St. Charles Humane Society Pet Adoption Questionnaire, Petsmart Adoption Release Form and the Adoption Certification. You will be required to present your driver's license as a form of identification. The completed forms will be thoroughly reviewed by the volunteer before approval of the adoption.
Some of the questions asked are:
1. Does your home have a yard? If so, is it fenced?
2. If you do not have a pet at this time but have owned one before, what happened to it?
3. List all of the animals you currently own (include type, age, sex, whether sterilized and where you obtained the pet).
4. Have you given a pet up to an animal shelter? If yes, why and when.
5. Where will the pet you are adopting be kept? Inside, Outside, Both
6. How many hours per day can you spend with your pet?
7. Are you financially prepared for the expenses involved with pet ownership (food, shots, medical bills, shelter)?
8. Are you willing to make a LIFETIME commitment to this pet?
9. Due to the conditions this pet has been surrounded by within the animal shelter, Animal Control and the Humane Society
require that you visit your veterinarian within 72 hours following the adoption. Are you able to do this?
10. Do you have a veterinarian that you currently use or have used in the past? If so, who?
11. Are you aware of what Heartworms are, how they are contracted, and how they are harmful to your dog?
12. For hurricane season, what is your evacuation plan for your pet if a hurricane were to come?
The pet adoption fee is $75.00. We can only take cash or check. You will be required to take Petsmart's Adoption Release Form to the register to be scanned (DO NOT GIVE THE CASHIER THE ADOPTION MONEY). Petsmart reimburses the Humane Society $10.00 for every pet adopted, so it is very important this form is scanned. After the form is scanned, return to the Humane Society volunteer, give him/her the form and the money for the adoption. You will be given the health record of the animal, rabies tag, microchip tag (if applicable), your copy of the adoption certificate, information from our veterinarian regarding the care of your pet and a prescription for flea/tick preventon (if applicable). You are entitled to a free bag of pet food, but it must be picked up at the shelter. You also are entitled to a free microchip if your pet has not already been microchipped. This, also, must be performed at the shelter. The shelter is located at 921 Rue La Cannes, Luling, LA (near the microwave tower by the Hale Boggs Bridge).
Petsmart is located at 6851 Veterans Memorial Boulevard, Metairie, LA. Cats are available for adoption at this location during the facility's normal working hours. All of the requirements, as outlined above, apply to their adoption.